[aadl-modeling]: Problemns with OSATE, Ocarina, and or Cheddar

Fountain, Graham (UK) graham.fountain at baesystems.com
Mon Jan 16 12:07:33 EST 2017

I'm hoping I can get some help on some problems I've got trying to use OSATE2, Ocarina, and Cheddar. If this is not the place, then can anyone direct me the right one.

A little background:

I've been asked to start the process of looking at AADL as a possible tool for evaluating the ability of various hardware implementations to run all or parts of a large SysML model that's being written - though I'm not very far along with that, as I will explain.

It might be worth stating that I've no significant background in modelling, so I'm not expecting to answer this question myself. My current main interest is in guaranteed reliable and timely real-time data transport between standard packet switched Ethernet interfaces, i.e. doing what MIL-STD-1553B does, using the standard Ethernet network interfaces found on components like SBCs, etc.; hence, not at all like AFDX or TTEthernet. The potential connection between this and AADL is that generating the guarantees that the real-time data transport is guaranteed reliable and timely (neither of which TCP gives) requires modelling some aspects of the network switches in a very well defined situation. This switch model will need to be integrated with or into the schedulability analyses for the SysML model. However, I'm a way off understanding what's involved in that, and so far only have mathematical models of a relatively simple switch in that specific situation.

But while I'm not liable to get to the bottom of the big question, I hope I can at least look at the tools and documentation, etc. So I've got a copy of Model-Based Engineering with AADL by Fieler and Gluch, and, based on the suggestion in that, downloaded osate2-2.2.1-vfinal-win32.win32.x86.zip, osate2-2.2.1-vupdate02-win32.win32.x86.zip, ocarina-2.0w-suite-windows-x86_64-20160805.zip (it's a 32 bit machine, but it seems not to care), and Cheddar-3.0-win32-bin.zip. I've updated Java to v8 update 111, installed OSATE2 (vfinal then vupdate02; copy and replace), Ocarina, and Cheddar, set the paths in preferences to ocarina and cheddar and set the environment variable CHEDDAR_INSTALL_PATH to point at the cheddar directory. This is all on a standalone 32-bit machine (HP EliteBook 8730w) running Vista that I'm admin on.

I can now generate simple models - I'm working through the example in Fieler and Gluch - Model-Based Engineering with AADL - and I can launch Cheddar from the menu without an error from the path to it not being set, but when I try to do anything with schedulability, I get a dialogue box telling me Ocarina is "Unable to find cheddarlite executable." And I've looked, and neither can I. Not only can I not find it in the directory
CHEDDAR_INSTALL_PATH points at, which is where the source code shows me it's looking for it. But I have looked everywhere in the downloads and the net, and I don't see cheddarlite.exe anywhere.

It's probably a dumb error on my part somewhere. But can anybody offer any help?

Also, are there any suggestions for commercially supported tools to do what we want, especially if these are supported by learning materials.

Regards

Graham Fountain
FCAS
Military Air & Information
BAE Systems

Post internal: W429A
Tel internal 7745 8187

Post external:
Building W429A
Warton Aerodrome
Lytham Road
Warton
Lancashire
PR4 1AX

Tel ext  +44 (0) 1772 856360

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687