[aadl-modeling]: new to aadl graphical editor in OSATE v2.2.2 - need pointer

Skelding, Randy PW randy.skelding at pw.utc.com
Wed Sep 13 21:06:44 EDT 2017

So far,    one person answered question 2... essentially saying – “not in the language... stay inside AADL”.   So IMO  there are apparently needs to be a way to extend AADL to allow for non functional, or non modeling elements to be included in the graphical representation.  There is no problem with the textual representation ... it’s just a comment  “—your comment here ”.

Meanwhile... I am encountering more questions... so I will add to the list.

1.       Is there a way to change the line style to rectilinear in OSATE2?   (As the number of connected elements increases, this becomes important for readability.)

2.       Is there a way to add stereotypes ,  like <<data>>, << bus access >> etc to the diagrams?  These are shown in the book “Model-Based Engineering with AADL”.

3.       Is there a way to add comments to the diagrams?

4.       Does anyone have a IBM Rhapsody / AADL profile?  If so, is it available? Where can it be obtained?

5.       Does anyone have a generic SYSML / AADL profile, that might be converted to Rhapsody or MagicDraw?

6.       How can the Enterprise Architect SYSML / AADL profile that was generated for DARPA META be obtained?

7.  Following the Power Boat Autopilot  example in the third  chapter of the book,  I get a model that has proper syntax but is incomplete.   Something is missing in connecting some of the elements to hardware.

I get the following set of messages from the Model Checker  -

Warning! scale_speed_data.proc_data -> speed_control_laws.proc_data: Connection control_process.scale_speed_data.proc_data -> speed_control_laws.proc_data source or destination is not bound to hardware
Warning! scale_speed_data.proc_data -> speed_control_laws.proc_data: Connection control_process.scale_speed_data.proc_data -> speed_control_laws.proc_data has no actual connection binding to hardware
ERROR:  scale_speed_data.proc_data -> speed_control_laws.proc_data: Hardware (processor or device) of connection control_process.scale_speed_data.proc_data -> speed_control_laws.proc_data source and destination are not physically connected
Warning! speed_sensor.sensor_data -> control_process.scale_speed_data.sensor_data: Connection speed_sensor.sensor_data -> control_process.scale_speed_data.sensor_data source or destination is not bound to hardware
Warning! speed_sensor.sensor_data -> control_process.scale_speed_data.sensor_data: Connection speed_sensor.sensor_data -> control_process.scale_speed_data.sensor_data has no actual connection binding to hardware
ERROR:  speed_sensor.sensor_data -> control_process.scale_speed_data.sensor_data: Hardware (processor or device) of connection speed_sensor.sensor_data -> control_process.scale_speed_data.sensor_data source and destination are not physically connected
Warning! interface_unit.set_speed -> control_process.speed_control_laws.set_speed: Connection interface_unit.set_speed -> control_process.speed_control_laws.set_speed source or destination is not bound to hardware
Warning! interface_unit.set_speed -> control_process.speed_control_laws.set_speed: Connection interface_unit.set_speed -> control_process.speed_control_laws.set_speed has no actual connection binding to hardware
ERROR:  interface_unit.set_speed -> control_process.speed_control_laws.set_speed: Hardware (processor or device) of connection interface_unit.set_speed -> control_process.speed_control_laws.set_speed source and destination are not physically connected
Warning! interface_unit.disengage -> control_process.speed_control_laws.disengage: Connection interface_unit.disengage -> control_process.speed_control_laws.disengage source or destination is not bound to hardware
Warning! interface_unit.disengage -> control_process.speed_control_laws.disengage: Connection interface_unit.disengage -> control_process.speed_control_laws.disengage has no actual connection binding to hardware
ERROR:  interface_unit.disengage -> control_process.speed_control_laws.disengage: Hardware (processor or device) of connection interface_unit.disengage -> control_process.speed_control_laws.disengage source and destination are not physically connected
Warning! control_process.speed_control_laws.cmd -> throttle.cmd: Connection control_process.speed_control_laws.cmd -> throttle.cmd source or destination is not bound to hardware
Warning! control_process.speed_control_laws.cmd -> throttle.cmd: Connection control_process.speed_control_laws.cmd -> throttle.cmd has no actual connection binding to hardware
ERROR:  control_process.speed_control_laws.cmd -> throttle.cmd: Hardware (processor or device) of connection control_process.speed_control_laws.cmd -> throttle.cmd source and destination are not physically connected

I clearly am missing something basic here... but the model shows “clean” in the OSATE  editor.

Can someone offer some quick help?  I will send you the .addl file.   I am new to AADL and we are under the gun to come up to speed and use this technology quickly.

Regards,
Randy Skelding
P&W CDS Methods and Tools
TechNet: 5-1855   Outside Phone: 860-565-1855
Fax:  860-623-3559   Cell: 860-656-4578
e-mail: randy.skelding at pw.utc.com

This email contains no technical data subject to ITAR or EAR restrictions.

PS:  For AADL users who are not SYSML users,  there is significant power in connecting these two approaches.  Let’s work together.
Also... my struggles to pick up AADL should form an interesting “use case” for developing “standard work” for introducing AADL to an organization, so I hope it is appropriate to share with the aadl-modeling list for general thought.