[aadl-modeling]: Merging and moving the AADL lists

Sam Procter sprocter at sei.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 15 16:05:49 EDT 2019

Hello,

We're considering merging all AADL-related mailing lists
(aadl-modeling at lists.sei.cmu.edu <mailto:aadl-modeling at lists.sei.cmu.edu> ,
sae-aadl at lists.sei.cmu.edu <mailto:sae-aadl at lists.sei.cmu.edu> , and
sae-aadl-users at lists.sei.cmu.edu <mailto:sae-aadl-users at lists.sei.cmu.edu> )
into a single new list, managed through Google Groups:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/saeaadl. A similar move by the
tooling-focused list for OSATE
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/osate) has been quite successful.

We anticipate two main benefits of this merger / move:

1. Exposure of mailing list history to search engines: Currently,
discussions and solutions posted on the mailing lists are not indexed by
search engines, limiting their exposure. Switching to Google Groups will
solve this.

2. Cross-fertilization of AADL committee business and modeling discussion:
AADL's committee-based governance structure is somewhat unique amongst
programming languages. Exposing committee business to AADL's users will
hopefully increase awareness of opportunities to get involved with the
future of the language. Similarly, exposing committee members to modeling
questions will let committee members share their expertise with AADL's
users.

Before we move the current lists to read-only, though, we wanted to solicit
feedback on this proposal from the users of these lists. Please reply to
this message, or email me directly (via sprocter at sei.cmu.edu
<mailto:sprocter at sei.cmu.edu> ) if you have questions or comments. Based on
feedback we receive, we will either modify the planned changes, or announce
a timeline for when they'll be completed.

Thank you,

- Sam Procter & Peter Feiler