[netsa-tools-discuss] Silk netflow-v9: lack of flags and template warnings

Mark Thomas mthomas at cert.org
Mon Dec 4 11:35:41 EST 2023

Ulrik-

Hello again!

Regarding the warning you are seeing:

"Template warning: Illegal length 2 for information element messageScope"

The warning is harmless since the messageScope element is not used by SiLK.

(To provide some background, the warning is generated by libfixbuf and it is stating that messageScope element is supposed to be a single octet[1] but the incoming template uses two octets.)

The warning is only supposed to occur once for each template where the element appears, but it will occur each time the template is received.  For a UDP stream, this can occur fairly often.  (The recommendation is 3 times within a 10 minute window.)

Unfortunately I do not believe there is a way to disable the warning message.

I see from your followup email that Fortigate does not provide TCP flags information.  I had anticipated that answer from them.  Good luck with your enhancement request.

Had you not heard from them, my suggestion to check this for yourself would be to run flowcap or rwflowpack for a short time with template logging enabled.  For UDP, one does this by setting the SILK_IPFIX_PRINT_TEMPLATES environment variable prior to starting the tool.

I hope you find that information useful.

Regards,

-Mark

[1] See elementId 263 in the IPFIX Element Assignments from IANA
https://www.iana.org/assignments/ipfix/ipfix.xhtml