[aadl]: Question about error model events distribution

Viet Yen Nguyen nguyenvietyen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 03:42:55 EDT 2014

Hi Denis,

I see this question has not yet been answered publicly. Even though I do
not have the current version of the AADL Error Annex in front of me, allow
me to explain it in terms of probability theory fundamentals.

As you state, a fixed distribution means that you'll have discrete
distribution over Booleans: a sample space of two outcomes: occurred and
not occurred. The Poisson distribution is a discrete distribution over
integers. It has an infinite discrete sample space: 0, 1, 2, ... Let us
translate that to practical terms. The sample 1 means that the error event
occurs 1 time (within the timeframe according to the \lambda parameter of
the Poisson distribution). The sample 100 means that the error event occurs
100 times. Given the \lambda parameter, the Poisson distribution assigns a
probability to that, e.g. the probability that the error event occurs 100
times.

Another interesting distribution is the exponential one. It's continuous
and spawns a probability distribution over the waiting time before the
error event happened. For example, the probability that you're 100 time
units in the OK state before the error event happens.

Viet Yen