[netsa-tools-discuss] Multi-protocol support in fixbuf using same listener

John Jetmore jj33 at pobox.com
Thu Apr 9 11:41:58 EDT 2015

Hello, I'm trying to build a flow collector using libfixbuf.  I have
the basis for what I want and it works very well, thank you for the
work put into this library.

One of the requirements I had for this project was to receive
different flow protocols (sflow, v9, ipfix) on the same receiving
port. We had thought this would be very easy since the docs didn't
seem to say that the translators were mutually exclusive.  oops.

I've spent the past few days trying to creatively come up with
solutions to allow this behavior and haven't gotten very far.  I
finally proved to myself that there's a single collector per listener
(I was lead astray by the peer information in the struct being swapped
out), at which point I decided it probably wasn't possible right now.

My questions to this list:
 - Have I missed something obvious?  Is there a way to allow libfixbuf
to automatically translate flows using a single listener?
 - Is there any plan for this?  To me it seems like it could be done.
The peer information in the fbCollector_st is already being swapped
out when the peer changes, could the pointer to the translationState
also be changed?

Thanks again for the great library, and thanks in advance for any help.