[netsa-tools-discuss] Flows per second in SiLK

Mark Thomas mthomas at cert.org
Wed Aug 12 16:03:46 EDT 2015

In answer your three questions...

1. Missing packet count.

The missing packet count is an estimate by libfixbuf of the number
of packets it did not receive.  libfixbuf increments this count
whenever the sequence number of the packet it receives is different
than the number it was expecting.

NetFlow v9 is delivered over UDP which is an unreliable protocol.
If a packet gets dropped at some point during its journey from the
router to SiLK, the sequence numbers of the packets will indicate
that one or more packets were lost.  Occasionally, a packet has not
actually been dropped, but it has arrived out of sequence.

Packets are dropped when rwflowpack is too busy to accept them, the
router is too busy to send them, or an intermediate point is too
busy to process them.

2. Explanation of rwflowpack log line.

Periodically rwflowpack prints a line similar to the following

 's1_probe': forward 722703, reverse 0, ignored 0, nf9: missing-pkts 2990

Although SiLK stores flow records in as uni-directional, it can read
bi-directional flows created by some flow generators such as YAF.
http://tools.netsa.cert.org/yaf/

In the log message, the value after "reverse" is the number of
bi-directional flow records SiLK received.  The value after
"forward" is the sum of the uni-directional and bi-directional flow
records.  The sum of the forward and reverse values should be the
total number of records SiLK wrote to disk during the current
period.

The value after "ignored" denotes records that SiLK is unable to
process.  For example, if SiLK is configured without IPv6 support,
any IPv6 record it receives is added to the "ignore" count.

3. Setting command line options in rwflowpack.

Since you start rwflowpack via

  /usr/local/share/silk/etc/init.d/rwflowpack restart

there should be a file named

  /usr/local/share/silk/etc/rwflowpack.conf

that determines the command line options used by that script.  The
comments in that file should specify which command line switch is
affected by the variables in the file.  This is also described in
this section of the Installation Handbook
http://tools.netsa.cert.org/silk/install-handbook.html#x1-470004.3

-Mark