[netsa-tools-discuss] SiLK Plugins

B Galliart bgallia at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 00:24:49 EDT 2015

Speaking of plugins, it would be nice if flowcap had a direct plugin system.

This would be something along the lines of a shared-object file specified
in the sensor.conf.  Flowcap would then use dlopen() to use the plugin.

The plugin (shared-object file) would then provide two functions:

(1) an initialization function called around startReaders() which returns a
pointer to the plugin's own data structure

(2) a plugin replacement for the readerWriteRecord() which would be given
the flowcap_reader_t, rwRec and the pointer from it's own initialization
function

The plugin SDK header files would then provide everything needed to take
advantage of the flowcap_reader_t and rwRec structure.

It seems to me that having to depend on the file system, even if you use a
SSD or RAM disk, can greatly limit applications that depend on near
realtime performance.

There is also a steep learning curve to libfixbuf which shouldn't be the
case for a flowcap plugin SDK.  I am not looking to have anything changed
about libfixbuf but from the perspective of having used libpcap, it seems
like libfixbuf is at an abstraction layers which results in a magnitude
much more complex API.

Instead, I think a plugin system to flowcap provides a much easier to learn
abstraction layer where the programmer only needs to really learn the
libsilk concept of rwRec to proceed.

Using such a plugin style system where I am feeding flowcap about 75Mbps of
IPFIX data for an initial benchmark, I am processing over 100,000 flow per
second (which represent 2.8 million packets per second or 11Gbps of network
traffic).

It would also be nice for purposes of benchmarking to be able to
approximate number of dropped flows but fbSessionGetSequence() is currently
a private libfixbuf function.  The log warnings aren't helpful because they
include out of sequence events (and I have also suppressed them being
logged to improve performance).  Instead, knowing the raw sequence numbers
should allow for getting an expected total and comparing it with the actual
total.  However, modifying libfixbuf and libflowsource to expose the
sequence numbers at the flowcap layer goes beyond the scope of my project.

Anyways, thanks to all the CERT NetSA developers and I am really looking
forward to seeing what SiLK 4 will provide!