[netsa-tools-discuss] Collection and analysis of Vendor specific IPFIX information elements using SiLK 3.10.2

Mark Thomas mthomas at cert.org
Wed Aug 26 14:45:42 EDT 2015

Abhishek-

Thank you for your question.

While libfixbuf does support any IPFIX field, the SiLK record format
in SiLK 3 is fairly rigid.  The next major version of SiLK will
provide for a more flexible record format, but currently we do not
have an estimated release data.

If you are only looking to use one or two enterprise-specific
fields, you could "re-purpose" a little-used field such as the SNMP
ingress and egress interfaces or the NextHop IP field.  For this
approach, see
https://lists.sei.cmu.edu/pipermail/netsa-tools-discuss/2014-November/000037.html

If that does not meet your needs, you will have to extend the rwRec
structure, update skipfix.c to copy your enterprise-specific fields
into the rwRec, manually add the fields to each application, and
update the source files that read and write rwRecs from and to files
on disk.  I mentioned the list of SiLK source code files that need
to be updated in this post.
https://lists.sei.cmu.edu/pipermail/netsa-tools-discuss/2015-May/000091.html

Best of luck,

-Mark