[netsa-tools-discuss] ASA denied events

John Green John.Green at jisc.ac.uk
Wed Jul 1 07:23:17 EDT 2015

Hi,

Is anyone else using Silk to process denied events from an ASA?

I've been trying to collect V9 from an ASA and have been getting large numbers of "IGNORED - no forward/reverse octets" entries showing up in my flowcap log files.

The majority of these were denied packets.  Looking at the source code these should be fixed up in skipfix.c when the following conditions are met.

if ((skpcProbeGetQuirks(probe) & SKPC_QUIRK_FW_EVENT)
   && 0 == pkts
   && SKIPFIX_FW_EVENT_DENIED == fixrec.NF_F_FW_EVENT)

This wasn't happening because looking in fixrec
firewallEvent = 3 '\003', NF_F_FW_EVENT = 0 '\000', NF_F_FW_EXT_EVENT = 1002

Looking in the templates being exported from the ASA I have
firewallEvent (233) and FW_EXT_EVENT (33002).    I can't see any
reference to NF_F_FW_EVENT (40005).   A comment in skipfix.c refers to
two Cisco documents, both of which also make no reference to 40005
(only 233).

I've changed the above code to mirror some logic used previously in the function.

uint8_t event = (fixrec.firewallEvent ? fixrec.firewallEvent : fixrec.NF_F_FW_EVENT);
if ((skpcProbeGetQuirks(probe) & SKPC_QUIRK_FW_EVENT)
            && 0 == pkts
            && SKIPFIX_FW_EVENT_DENIED == event)

This appears to work, but I wanted to check I wasn't missing something.   In particular if libfixbuf should be involved somehow (http://tools.netsa.cert.org/fixbuf/libfixbuf/v9.html makes references to converting these elements)

Thanks
John