[netsa-tools-discuss] super_mediator TCP connection timeout

inetjunkmail inetjunkmail at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 08:19:19 EDT 2015

We have a need to relay a subset of our IPFIX data to a customer.  When we
used the NFDump suite, we used nfreplay to ship them the data.  Now that we
use SiLK, we were trying to use super_mediator.  To give a better idea of
what we're trying to to, super_mediator.conf is below.  The problem is that
when the remote collector at 1.1.1.1 is unreachable, super_mediator never
starts because it hangs trying to connect.  Is there a way to have it time
out and periodically retry to connect to exporters rather than requiring
them to be available at the time the service starts?

Alternatively, is there a better way to accomplish this?

COLLECTOR TCP
   PORT 18000
COLLECTOR END
EXPORTER TCP
   PORT 18001
   HOST localhost
   FLOW_ONLY
EXPORTER END
EXPORTER TCP
   PORT 2055
   HOST "1.1.1.1"
   FLOW_ONLY
   ANY_IP IN_LIST "/data/silk/sets/customerA.set"
EXPORTER END
LOGLEVEL DEBUG
LOG "/data/silk/log/super_mediator.log"
PIDFILE "/data/silk/log/super_mediator.pid"

Thanks