[netsa-tools-discuss] super_mediator TCP connection timeout

inetjunkmail inetjunkmail at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 13:08:09 EDT 2015

Thanks for the idea Adam.  Unfortunately, RSYNC would still require the
receiver to use SiLK to interpret the data and we're trying to avoid that
requirement.

In our environment we function much like an ISP so we have multiple
customers traversing our routers.  We are transitioning to SiLK as our
IPFIX collector/analyzer but we also offer customers their specific flow
data (based on IP address).  Today we use nfcapd to receive flow data from
the routers then we run a cron job ever 5 minutes to read in the last 5
mins of flow data off disk and export it via nfreplay which is currently
exporting the data in Neflow v9 format to the customers.  From the customer
perspective, they just need to stand up any Netflow/IPFIX collector and we
shoot them the data.  We can certainly change our export format to IPFIX
but we'd like to avoid requiring a specific collector.

Ultimately it looks like we may be able to user super_mediator if we choose
to export via UDP; since it's connectionless, it doesn't hang on startup.
Ideally we'd come up with a way to enable the use of TCP for the
reliability and the benefit of not having to wait around for a template
refresh but I think that option is better than maintaining the two parallel
solutions.