[netsa-tools-discuss] Understanding LOADMETHOD=4

Mark Thomas mthomas at cert.org
Thu Oct 1 13:39:19 EDT 2015

Aha!  No wonder you are confused.  My math is wrong.

A flow that begins at 12:03:50 and ends at 12:06:20 has a duration
of 150 seconds, not 210 seconds.

If I keep the 60 bytes/second average flow rate, then the overall
number of bytes in the flow is 9000, not 12600.

The updated table reads:

 BIN                 12:03:00    12:04:00    12:05:00    12:06:00

 time-proportional        600        3800        3600        1200
 bin-uniform             2250        2450        2250        2250
 start-spike             9000         200           0           0
 middle-spike               0         200        9000           0
 end-spike                  0         200           0        9000
 maximum-volume          9000        9200        9000        9000
 minimum-volume             0         200           0           0

The long flow spends 10 seconds in the first bin, 60 seconds in the
middle two bins, and 20 seconds in the final bin.

Thank you for pointing out this error.

-Mark