[netsa-tools-discuss] 'rwfileinfo invocation failed' with iSilk and recent silk tools

Steve Kersley steve.kersley at keble.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 12 11:54:08 EDT 2016

Hello all,
I've been using the silk tools for a while to capture netflow data and only occasionally need to query it which we generally do with iSilk.

It had been working fine until yesterday, using iSilk 0.62 and silk 3.11.0.1.  However, since upgrading silk to both 3.12.2 and 3.13.0, iSilk is unable to run a query.  I create a new problem set, use the query builder but on running the query, after it finishes running rwfilter it pops up an error:  'rwfileinfo invocation failed' 'Unexpected output', and fails to save the query.

The files it created are still present in the remote directory.  If I look in the command log and run the commands directly on the server, they all work with no errors, including rwfileinfo.  I've compared the output of rwfileinfo from the 3.11.0.1 version of silk to that from the later versions and can see no difference.  Doesn't seem to matter what the query parameters are, they all fail.  I couldn't see anything in the changelog after 3.11.0.1 that stood out.

Does anyone have any idea where to start looking for the problem?  Is iSilk working for others with current releases of silk? Or do most people simply use the processing tools natively?

Thanks,
Steve Kersley,
IT Manager,
Keble College, University of Oxford.