[aadl]: Wiring Analysis Software

Hall, Brendan (MN65) Brendan.Hall at honeywell.com
Mon Mar 16 10:32:39 EDT 2015

Alex,

You are correct.

Mentor’s System Vision is  a great tool to look at. Also,   remember that this  is built on top of the open VHDL-AMS standard. Hence there are many tools here (the joys of well developed standards). That said  I am not certain of open source simulators, although I believe there are freely available educational offerings  from Vendors.
This is a great resource for the background technology  https://www.elsevier.com/books/the-system-designers-guide-to-vhdl-ams/ashenden/978-1-55860-749-1

On the Mentor site there are some great videos, that show the impact of wire and cabling
Check out the LVDT Sensor Modeling and Signal Conditioning Design
http://www.mentor.com/products/sm/lvd-rvdt-intro
Also check out the CAN examples on the site
http://s3.mentor.com/public_documents/whitepaper/resources/mentorpaper_39658.pdf

We are just starting to look out how we can link these models to the architectural models and potentially integrate  error annotations and cross model parameters.
Establishing the system context for the analysis and mapping the  key parameter influences is a interesting problem. The AVSI-SAVI  project is starting to look at this next level of cross model integration.

There are some interesting approaches linking the VHDL_AMS to SysML that may also be of interest.
http://www.iaeng.org/publication/WCECS2013/WCECS2013_pp90-95.pdf
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=6195437

In the longer term I’d like to see a similar relationship with the AADL hybrid annex. But we need some use cases to better understand the potential and needs  here. Linking to the higher level system separation and safety constraints may be a sweet spot.

Happy Monday

Bren