[aadl]: Osate2 / AADL private packages

Arne Haber haber at se-rwth.de
Tue Mar 24 03:32:41 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I have a question regarding private packages in AADL resp. Osate2.

According to [FGH06], are "declarations in the private segment
[...] visible only within the package". Thus, I assume, that component
types and implementations which are declared within the private segment of
the package, can be instantiated as subcomponents in a system component
implementation in the public segment. I modeled the following example in
Osate2:

package innerComponents

  public
    system OuterComp
    end OuterComp;

    system implementation OuterComp.OuterCompImpl
      subcomponents
        innerC: abstract InnerComp;
    end OuterComp.OuterCompImpl;

  private

    abstract InnerComp
    end InnerComp;

end innerComponents;

However, I get the following error:
"Couldn't resolve reference to AbstractSubcomponentType 'InnerComp'."

Is this a) the expected behavior of private packages, or is it b) a bug in
Osate2?
If a), what is the purpose of private packages if I cannot use the private
declarations anywhere except in the private segment?

Best regards
  Arne Haber

[FGH06] Peter Feiler, David Gluch, and John Hudak. The Architecture
Analysis & Design
Language (AADL): An Introduction. Technical Report Technical Note CMU/SEI-
2006-TN-011, Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University,
Pitts-
burgh, Pennsylvania, February 2006.
--
Dipl.-Wirt.-Inf. Arne Haber              |   Software Engineering
Lehrstuhl für Software Engineering       | RWTH Aachen University